Thursday, March 28, 2013

Guest Designer layout

Early in March I submitted a layout to Color My Heart challenge blog, the gist of the challenge was to use 2 different paper packs from CTMH. This was an easy one for me since I have tons of paper packs from CTMH, I just had to put the right ones together and I thought I did that fairly well. I guess the design team over at Color My Heart did to because I won the weekly challenge and that meant I got to be a guest designer. I couldn't get a layout ready fast enough last Friday so they were gracious enough to let me postpone till this week.
 
This layout is for challenge #36; using outdoor denim, hollyhock, Sunset and blush (Clair colors). Of course I don't have the Clair collection...YET, so I had to make do with what I had and well...here it is.
Y'all have prolly figured out that I like to pull old stuff and new stuff together to make my layouts and I pulled from 9 different collections, most retired, but some newer! Scroll to the bottom to have a look at my supply list. Just a note here, I didn't use cream cardstock here, I used a cream backside to pattern paper for the strip along the bottom and for the photo mat. 

Not only did the background pattern have a nice blush shade but I stamped some little flourish shapes with 2nd gen hollyhock ink, you can see a couple here, I stamped the words summer smiles in 1st gen hollyhock ink. I did use hollyhock cardstock as the base of my photo mat and to layer under my alpha title.

I found some nice blush colored flowers in an old collection as well as these neutral alpha squares from an old collection.

I dressed up the flowers with some bling, I think the clear ones are from CTMH, and I stamped the sentiment with denim blue ink.

How about that lovely hollyhock and sunset flower from old collections.
 
 
I know mixing and matching old and new product is not for everyone, but I really like to do it because it breaths new life into some of my older collections! How about you, do you mix or do you stay faithful to one collection at a time?
 
CTMH supplies:
Outdoor Denim, Sunset, Blush and Hollyhock cardstock; Felicity and Serendipity pattern papers; Magnifique,Florentine, Lucky, Caprice, Moon Dogie, Bella and Unforgettable stickease; Cocoa, Hollyhock and Outdoor Denim ink; Clear epoxy bubbles; B1349 Summer Wishes & D1365 True Happiness stamps
 
Other supplies:
MME lush pink rhinestones, dk blue sharpie, recollections foam adhesive, Martha Stewart scalloped punch
 
Thanks for visiting my blog today!!

4 comments:

Becca Whitham said...

Wow! You really did mix and match a whole bunch of this, that, and another thing. But it came off BEAUTIFULLY. And I love that the arm floaties and bathing suit in the photo are the exact color dare colors. How incredible is that? You have inspired me to start looking at my paper packs in a whole new way. I tend to stick with one pack at a time, but I'm starting to see how you are mixing them up and making it work. Thanks for the inspiration!!

sarahstone said...

Thank you so much for being our guest designer this week, Julia! I love how you mix up so many paper packs to get just the right look. (And I love using my Stickease, too!) This layout is so pretty. So glad to have you at Color My Heart.

Sarah

canadian_liner said...

Awesome layout! I love your one-pagers. I tend to cram a lot of photos onto my 2-page layouts because I'm fixated on telling the story, but sometimes celebrating a single photo does the job beautifully. Love your combination of embellishments. So glad to have you join the crew at CMH this week.

Kigz said...

Oh how lovely!!! I keep looking at the different details and keep finding something new. I would love to case it, but don't know how to start! Great mix of papers, and I adore your style! :) Thanks for being our guest designer this week!